In My Pocket is a new weekly feature where J9 and I share some of the links we’ve collected in Pocket. (To find out what Pocket is and how to use it, check out my tutorial on Pocket.) Some links will be book-related while some may be off-topic. Who knows what you’ll find in our Pocket ;) And if you use Pocket, we invite you to share what’s in your Pocket as well.
In J9's Pocket:
- As an out and proud feminist I often read romances through this lens. I found Courtney Milan's The Governess Affair a romance novella feminists could be proud of. Author and blogger Olivia Waite thought so too and wrote a stellar analysis.
- Sarah Wendell from Smart Bitches, Trashy Books writes for Kirkus Review about the Sneaky Appeal of the Beta Hero that I enjoyed.
- I started reading romances with Judith McNaught's books and hated the "heroes". This was a compelling discussion on the difference between her misogynist heroes and Loretta Chase's heroes. In my opinion, the blog author totally nailed why I dislike McNaught's books but enjoy Chase's (for the most part).
- This will be Mid-West centric but parking in Chicago will kill you. It's not unusual to pay $50-60 a night to park your car in downtown Chicago. I recently discovered SpotHero.com and have a moral imperative to share it with you all. For our anniversary stay in downtown Chicago last weekend we paid $30 for two nights' parking and saved $70, which I promptly spent on booze at the piano bar and food in Greektown. SpotHero is my hero!
In Brianna's Pocket:
- Yesterday was Pi Day! I love that schools celebrate this, even as early as Kindergarten.
- I love infographics. They’re informative and easy to use. Here are some on Bookworms, Lego Minifigs (did you know that the hole on top of their head is in case it gets swallowed, the person can still breathe?), Find Your Missing Child, and Blood Pressure.
- I am seriously considering getting a slow cooker so I’m on the hunt for crock pot recipes. A Year of Slow Cooking is one site I’ve been searching through. If you know of any other great slow cooking recipe sites, please do let me know!
- DABWAHA time is here! I participated last year but the whole thing is kind of confusing so I’ll have to read up on it again so I can join in the fun again this year.
- I’m trying out Triberr again. I have created a tribe for Romance Book Bloggers, if you’d like to join :) (This tribe would be for the 18+ crowd since there could be erotica posts.)