Welcome to the ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN Series Read-Along discussion! Today we are going to discuss the fifth book in the series – Spider’s Revenge. THERE WILL BE SPOILERS FOR THIS SERIES, UP TO THIS BOOK! If you have read further on in the series, please refrain from commenting on any details from any of the other books. Let’s keep this discussion solely on the characters and events that take place in Spider’s Revenge and its predecessors.
To take part in the discussion, leave a comment on this post. You can address all of the discussion topics or just the ones that interest you. And feel free to bring up points that we didn’t mention.
We recommend that you subscribe to the comments on this post (you can subscribe even if you have yet to leave a comment) to stay connected to the discussion. That way you get the discussion straight in your inbox and can come back when you’d like to add something to the discussion.
And here we go!
"You don’t have to pretend with me, you know,” I said in a soft tone, making sure my voice didn’t carry beyond our position behind the Dumpsters.
“Pretend about what?” Finn murmured, still staring at Bria through a gap between two of the metal containers.
“That my sister’s nothing more than another casual fling to you, another conquest to chase down and have your way with before you move on to the next woman."
"Better be careful talking about how good my cooking is. Roslyn might get jealous.”
The vampire madam let out a soft laugh. “Oh, I’ll freely admit that your cooking is much better than mine, Gin. But I have certain skills you don’t, especially in the bedroom. I think that Xavier far prefers those, even over a plate of the Pork Pit’s best barbecue.”
Roslyn gave Xavier a sly look, and the giant’s grin widened.
“Well played, Roslyn,” I murmured. “Well played."
"Any chance of getting something sweet to go with my coffee?” [Finn] asked in a hopeful voice.
I arched an eyebrow at him. “You mean all those pieces of strawberry pie that you ate for lunch weren’t enough?”
“I’m a growing boy,” Finn said in a sincere tone. “I need my vitamins.”
Bria snorted. “The only thing that’s growing on you, Lane, is your ego.”
Finn sidled up to my sister and gave her a dazzling smile. “Well, other things of mine also tend to swell up in your presence, detective."
"Sorry, Gin. But neither one of us wants to see you get killed. So Owen and I (Finn) made an agreement to save you from yourself."
"I’m told that Mab will make her appearance around nine. And you’ll love this, Gin. Guess what she’s going as? What her costume is?”
“I have no idea. Satan’s mistress, perhaps?”
Finn stared at me. “The Spider."
I loved him for it. For letting me be the Spider, for always letting me do what needed to be done, with no judgments, no remorse, and no regrets, even when the price was going to be so very, very high this time - for all of us.
"Well, well, well, if it isn’t the Spider calling me. Tell me, do you prefer Gin Blanco? Or Genevieve Snow?” Mab sneered. “I’d like to get it right, now that I know exactly who the hell you are.”
“It’s Gin,” I quipped. “Like the fucking liquor."
"So this, bitch. Bria isn’t the one that you want. She isn’t the one with both Ice and Stone magic - I am."
"And if you kill my sister, I will stop at nothing to end your existence. Nothing. And by now, you should know exactly how good I am. I’m the Spider, bitch - I’m there best there is."
"I love you, Owen. Completely, totally, irrevocably."
Bria shrugged. “I waited until I was sure there was no one else around who could get hurt, then threw my coffee in the bastard’s face and took away his gun. While he was screaming from the pain and the second-degree burns, I cuffed his ass and hauled him down to the station. End of story.”
Fin gave my sister a warm, admiring look. “Nice takedown, detective. Even if you should have found another way to do it. Don’t you know that you never, ever waste a cup of coffee like that?"
- We finally find out what happened to Sophia. What are your thoughts on this? Why do you think Sophia choose not to allow her sister (Jo-Jo) to heal the injuries she sustained, specifically her damaged voice?
- We learn that shortly after Gin’s childhood home burned down, Fletcher had bought the land the home once stood on. This tells us that he had known all along who Gin and Bria are. How do you feel about him keeping it a secret all this time? What do you think his motives were?
- We also find out that Eira, Gin and Bria’s mother, not only knew Owen’s parents but fought Mab after she (Mab) killed them. And it seems that Mab thought the entire family, including Owen and Eva, were dead. What do you think of all this? Do you think there’s more to the story between Gin’s mother and Owen’s parents?
- Gin has defeated Mab. Yay! Ding, Dong the witch is dead! This marks the end of a villain who has plagued Gin and her friends for 5 books. Yet, we have more books to read in the Elemental Assassin series. So what do you think is in store for Gin in the upcoming books? Also, Jo-Jo tells Gin that “dark days still await”. Who do you think could be the next villain?
- I (Brianna) was under the impression that pretty much everyone in Ashland now knows that Gin Blanco and the Spider are one and the same. So I started to think, what’s Gin going to do about the Pork Pit? Then at the end of Spider’s Revenge, she returns to work under the pretense that she’s been sick for the past 6 weeks with mono. Do you think Gin will continue to work at the Pork Pit? And do you think she will publicly acknowledge that she is indeed the Spider?
- Mab’s dead and is no longer a threat to the city of Ashland. Do you think another villain will take her place as head-honcho? Do you think Gin carries that ‘throne’ now?
- Now that we’re 5 books into the series and we’ve got a pretty good feel for the characters and their traits, who would you like to see cast to play the roles of the main characters (Gin, Finn, Fletcher, Bria, Donovan, Owen, Sophia, Jo-Jo, Roslyn, Xavier, Mab) if this series were to be adapted into a movie?
- There were a few scenes of Gin and Sophia dishing up tasty meals for their customers and friends. What would you order from the Pork Pit?